March 1, 2009

Call Me A Nerd, But...

I love to read anything and everything. Being a college student there is not really much of a choice of reading material other than Tonal Harmony textbooks and the score to Beethoven's 9th Symphony, which nothing short of a masterpiece and that I will be singing on April 25th with Craig Jessop conducting. But I digress. Last summer I made a list of books that I really wanted to read. I perused the New York Times Bestseller's list under fiction, non-fiction, and childrens chapter books (there are gems in there I tell you), and headed over to the Logan Library and hooked myself up with a library card. One of the best things I did all summer. Since then, I've read a ton, but here are some of the favorites:

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson
(I actually ended up buying a copy. It was worth it.)

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
(the sequel, World Without End, is on my 2009 reading list)


Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
(I bought a copy of this one also. It was also worth it.)


And don't judge me...


Twilight ; New Moon ; Eclipse ; Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer

Now, I'll be the first to admit I was one of those Twilight Bashers and wondered what in the world was so fantastic about this Twilight business. For me, having never read it, it deserved the same attention as those trashy drug store novels with the shirtless men and scantily clad women on the covers. I was very wrong and have changed my ways. I read the first novel last summer and thought that it was all I needed to read because I had heard that it was all downhill from there. I was satisfied, but didn't feel the need to obsess hoping sexy dead vampires would come to bite me. Then I saw the movie with my brother and his girlfriend. And then I needed more. I borrowed New Moon from my cousin over Christmas break and my brother bought me Eclipse and Breaking Dawn for Christmas (he wrapped them in Hannukkah wrapping, bless his heart). Therefore, I read the last three books of the series over Christmas break. Tiffanee and I had a lovely time talking about our favorite parts as she was just a little ahead of me.

As for 2009's Book-List, since I'm starting a bit earlier this year, it is a much more extensive list and I am sure it will be added to frequently seeing as how the NY Times Bestsellers list changes often. On this years list we have such gems as:


The Chronicle's of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I've seen the play, bawled my eyes out. True Story.

And others like The Lord of the Ring's series by J.R.R Tolkien and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Right now I'm reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. So far so good!

So if you have any good recommendations, do not hesitate to send them my way.

3 comments:

  1. Linda Linford! You have a blog! Look at you. :) I have one too, so check it out if you get bored! thewaythingsroll.blogspot.com. I have to tell you that reading has been the greatest thing that has happened to me since graduating. I've always loved it, but I no longer feel ridiculously guilty doing it! I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter last night. Read that one? if not- do it. It's way good. I have to tell you though, that I hated Twilight. Yes, I read them all, but they just... weren't my thing I guess. Wow... this is a long comment. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, your layout is so cute! I love it. And I have a very similar stance on the twilight books. I enjoyed them, but I am still cool with mortal men...

    ReplyDelete