March 3, 2009

Cheese Steaks and Dreams

One of the great things about growing up on the east coast is the proximity to America's historical gems: Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. Some of my best memories are the mini trips my family would go on to these cities. I have a deep love and appreciation for history and I love surrounding myself with places that are so deeply saturated with it. I gained a great sense of pride for this nation and our roots in how we became a nation by visiting these great historical locations. Therefore, it was always a treat to go and play and learn. Here are some pictures of some of the good times.


This picture was when my grandparents came from Wyoming for my high school graduation. It was great to have them. We went to Philly and DC. One of the best places we visited was the Arlington National Cemetery. While we were there we saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. There was so much reverence there it might as well have been a sacrament meeting. I loved it.
My grandparents were champs for walking everywhere!


This is a picture overlooking DC with the Washington Memorial in the background. This is the grave site for the man who laid out the city. Don't remember his name, but what a location to be buried!




Here are my favorite things about DC:
1. Cherry Blossoms in the Spring time. The festival is actually at the end of this month.

2. I'm pretty sure I recall having great Chinese food in the Chinatown down there.

3. Arlington National Cemetery. It's such a beautiful place and there definitely is an air of reverence there even with all the people that go walk through it all day every day.

4. The Lincoln Memorial. Something about standing where Dr. King stood and gave his inspiring "I Have A Dream" speech is actually quite humbling.

5. Vietnam War Memorial.

6. Having my dad tell me everything he know about US History. He's the one that instilled that love for history in my heart.

Here are a few of my "Favorite Things" in Philly

1. CheeseSteak. It's a must. Preferably at a hole in the wall type place. I recommend the stand one block away from Independence Hall. It hits the spot.

2. Reading Terminal Market. There is so much going on and I never know where to start. If you can make it for breakfast, DO IT! Look for the Amish people because they make the best breakfast in the city, hands down.

3. Now, venturing away from food... Everything history. Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Old City Philadelphia, Museums, anything and everything. It's worth the time.

4. UPenn - I love the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment